Thursday, December 29, 2011

Ceci n'est pas une blogue du Nouvelle An

Oh, who am I kidding.
Of course it is! That's right everybody, new year's is just around the corner and that means:
*CUE EPIC MUSIC*


 And in this version, the lyrics don't actually sound like "O four tuna, bring more tuna, statuary on his knees".
Anyways, I recently realized that at a Chanukkah party the other day (no matter how many times blogger tells me that spelling is wrong, THAT is how I spell Chanukkah. Two k's.) I was acting more obnoxious than usual. For me, this means being somewhat uh..pretentious...perfectionist (in a really annoying way) and well, generally treating my friends a little more shabby than usual.

That being said, (And I couldn't find a suitable Love Actually quote to go here, although I did try. Very hard. But the movie was all about how you tell the truth and spend time with people you love, which I did.) I just hope they'll forgive me and we can make the New Year more splendid than the last!

Right, so New Year's Resolutions:

1) Get down to the gym WITHOUT COMPLAINING
2) Actually finish a couple projects that are not hats, scarves or mittens (well, I still haven't finished the other mitten. My cat decided to play with the first completed one and was pooping out blue for a week and oh my god, my hands are so cold I can't type)
3) Don't fail any classes (like french. harrumph)
4) Don't eat Cheetos because I realize all they do is give me a stomach-ache
And Finally
5) Go with the flow. Just because someone is taking lousy pictures (or using a flash outside) or
 pronouncing a word differently than I do or is typing too slow or just in general does something less efficiently (or so it would seem) than I do (so it isn't necessarily less efficient):
It doesn't mean I have to get up there and change the way they do things. It's not a pretty picture and usually ends in a lot of exasperated sighs and silly arguments.

That being said, I should also stop getting into silly arguments with my best friend. They're not worth the arguing and the fighting. And fighting "sucks balls" as she would say.

So, mein lieben, ich liebe dich unt glückliche neue Jahr! 


I love google translate :)

So now that I have spilled my guts, it's time for some photos and project updates!



As mentioned before, I love making hats and there's this one patter from lion brand yarn (that I will post) that makes rather fantastic hats. It uses just one ball and although it's got plenty of holes in it, it's surprisingly warm..just not in -17 C weather. Like today. Anything between 15 and -10 is okay. But anything colder just goes right though your hat and makes your ears blue.
I know mine turned purple. It was creepy.
Anyways, here's what mine look like because I'm sure the models in the lion brand yarn picture were chosen from a catalogue. I'm positive they've got a catalog for generic 30 year old looking models who are doing clothing lines like the commercials with the two annoying men and the ugly clothing modeled by women who CLEARLY never wear them. Reitmans? Possibly.


So this is a friend of mine wearing the hat I made her with some lovely green sparkly yarn she gave me. 
If you want any of the yarn, be prepared to make a 9 hour flight to Arizona. 



So the green compliments her fiery red hair quite nicely ^_^


As for the pattern, here it is. Although I didn't make this one up (but I have memorized it perfectly).


One Ball Hat (slouchy hat )

Band
Ch 10.
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch across - 9 sc.
Rows 2-80: Ch 1, turn, working in back loops only, sc in each st across.
Hold first and last row together, with sts aligned. To join Band, ch 1, turn, working through both thicknesses, slip st in each st across. Do not fasten off.

Hat
Rnd 1:
Ch 3 (counts as hdc, ch 1), working in ends of rows across long edge of Band, sk first 2 rows, *hdc in next row, ch 1, sk next row; rep from * around - 40 pattern reps at the end of this rnd. Place marker in last ch-1 sp for indicate end of rnd. Move marker up as work progresses.
Rnd 2: Hdc in first ch-3 sp, ch 1, *hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1; rep from * around.
Rep Rnd 2 until Hat measures 6 in. (15 cm) from lower edge of Band.
Top of Hat (crown)
Rnd 1:
*(Hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 7 times, sk next ch-1 sp; rep from * around - 35 pattern reps.
Rnd 2: *Hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1; rep from * around.
Rnd 3: *(Hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 6 times, sk next ch-1 sp; rep from * around - 30 pattern reps.
Rnd 4: Rep Rnd 2.
Rnd 5: *(Hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 5 times, sk next ch-1 sp; rep from * around - 25 pattern reps.
Rnd 6: Rep Rnd 2.
Rnd 7: *(Hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 4 times, sk next ch-1 sp; rep from * around - 20 pattern reps.
Rnd 8: *(Hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 3 times, sk next ch-1 sp; rep from * around - 15 pattern reps.
Rnd 9: *(Hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) 2 times, sk next ch-1 sp; rep from * around - 10 pattern reps.
Fasten off, leaving a long tail. Thread tail through sts of last rnd and pull to gather. Knot securely. 


You can see just how much neater and simpler these directions are from the ones I've been posting because I post mine the way I would understand them and lionbrandyarn posts them the way everybody else would.

I'm kind of a nutcase.




1 comment:

  1. As one of the friends at said party, just want to say that I love you in spite of your pretentiousness. ^.^ And best of luck with the New Years resolutions! <3

    ReplyDelete